How long we've been waiting for Travel Call...

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"You're not supposed to buy baby clothes...you'll get gifts!"

I have heard this from several people, and practically scolded.  The first time, I was like, yes but I have been WAITING to be able to finally buy clothes for MY baby for years!  It is not as if we will spend a ton of money or that we need alot.  We got 17 garbage bags FULL of clothes from my sister that my nephew has grown out of.  Some were too small, but there are still lots and lots (thanks A) Max will get a ton of use out of.  I am totally grateful for these clothes my nephew wore and any gifts we will get...but what is wrong with wanting to buy a few things that we I like and picked out ourselves myself?

Am I completely out of line here? The way I see it is, this is the fun part!  Why should only other people get to do the fun part?!?

8 comments:

  1. You are ABSOLUTELY not out of line here...Babies are meant to be spoiled and it is such a wonderful thing to be able to shop for these little cuties! I say buy what you want and resale it later(consignment stores are really good way to get money back). It is super nice to get hand-me-downs and helps out if you're on a super tight budget, but It is special to put something on them that you REALLY LOve. Some people really do not care what their kids wear, and that is fine with me, but I sure love a cute outfit. My kids clothes are a huge thrill for me, and especially when I get a good deal on them through e-bay or sales...Now get out and indulge your mommy senses:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. Charlie has a decent closet because it's been so fun buying for him! ;)

    There's something about picking out things for YOUR child that just really makes you happy inside. I think it's something about making it seem more 'real'.

    Have fun - and post photos of you 'finds'! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buy away! As Rachel said, it makes it seem real, it made me feel like I had control of something in the process. I was nervous so I didn't buy too much, now bring it on, next time baby gap better look out!!! It is awesome that you have 17 BAGS of clothes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 17 bags!!! Lucky lady. Well I am a penny pincher and so is Frig so I can count on one hand the clothes I bought before CJ came home. However, if you aren't on a budget I say go for it. Although you may want to wait to do much of the buying until you know Max's size. CJ fits best in clothes that are way smaller than his age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am certainly on a budget...but just wanted to get a few things I picked out myself. I will probably over think the size thing anyway...thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 17 bags is awesome! I bought a lot of the "fancy" outfits that I wanted him to wear. I was really surprised how small Kellan was when we brought him home, so some of it didn't fit (length vs. width). But . . . I have to be honest and tell you that retail therapy was my savior :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buy whatever you wish, Kristin! You have waited so long--I would be shopping, too, if I were you! I am so, so happy for you guys. I LOVE reading all of your stories. Can't wait to see you again soon to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We also got lots of nice hand me downs. However, this is your baby and it's fun (and sometimes therapeutic) to shop for him while you wait. Then when he's wearing that special outfit you can remember when you bought it for him. Go ahead and buy those special outfits guilt free Mommy!

    ReplyDelete